All gamers have experienced that weary feeling at some point in our lives. But for most of us, this does not show that our health might be in danger in some way. Ever wonder why you find yourself so tired? After playing your favorite games for a long time, you might feel dizziness and eye soreness. Playing too much can even cause death.
What is fatigue?
Fatigue can be defined as a physical or mental weariness resulting from exertion. It is a feeling of exhaustion or loss of strength, which may occur in mental or physical form.
While fatigue is a lack of energy and motivation, in many cases, it can be easily explained, and there is nothing to worry about. Most commonly, the condition is caused by lack of sleep, and once you discover why you feel tired, it is often easy to remedy the situation.
What are the causes of fatigue?
Fatigue may be caused by the number of reasons which may include alcohol abuse, anxiety, constipation, insomnia, grief, and candida, just to name a few. Perfectionism, often referred to as a form of self-abuse, is also on the list as one of a significant source of stress and fatigue, especially in women.
Other culprits may include:
- Anemia: A deficiency of iron in the blood which can lead to tiredness and run down. Vegetarians who do not eat enough iron may be at risk.
- Stress: Insomnia is a common symptom of stress. Never pretend everything is fine and ignore the signs of fatigue. Find out what is causing you stress and face the problem.
- Depression: When you are depressed, you often neglect your body and mind. This can have negative implications such as feeling tired all the time which may lead to more severe problems.
- Caffeine: Too much caffeine is not good for anyone. You should avoid having caffeinated drinks before bed and cut down on caffeine intake during the day. Caffeine can be replaced with other energy-boosting foods such as fruits and vegetables. Other good choices include nuts, yogurt, and eggs.
- Dehydration: It is vital to drink lots of water as dehydration can create fatigue that causes exhaustion and leaves you unable to sleep. This is because your body is unable to flush out toxin build up in your blood.
- Poor sleep hygiene: Is your bedroom too hot, cold or noisy? All of these things could be affecting your sleep and can mean that you wake up always feeling tired.
- Eating or drinking before bed: Eating big meals causes disturbed sleep as your body takes longer to digest food, especially spicy meals. It is recommended to wait a couple of hours between eating food and going to bed.
What are the symptoms of fatigue?
The symptoms may include both mental and physical weakness, lack of energy, constant tiredness or exhaustion, lack of motivation, difficulties in concentration, challenges in starting and completing tasks.
Fatigue can also cause a person to have weak muscles, slow responses, and slow movements. If left untreated, fatigue can cause forgetfulness, difficulty in staying focused, and a lack of mental clarity.
Fortunately, many causes of fatigue may be treated with modern medications; however, medical treatment of fatigue depends on the treatment of its underlying cause(s).
Regular exercise and other relaxation techniques can help restores a person’s energy. Our best bet is acupuncture from a Chinese Medicine clinic in New York City. It is also important to get enough sleep at night and constantly maintaining a nutritious diet. Other treatments that may be suggested include:
- iron supplements for anemia
- medications to control blood sugar
- medications to regulate thyroid function
- antibiotics to help treat infection
While fighting fatigue may seem to be challenging, it is important to continue fighting and supporting yourself. Even if the road may seem to be so steep for now, all your hard work will eventually pay off in the end. It is also recommended for you to make some dietary changes and have a sensible exercise program. Again, treatment of the underlying cause(s) is the key to treatment of the symptom of fatigue.